DID YOU KNOW?
Mediterranean foods, including gourmet extra virgin olive oil, should be a staple in your heart healthy lifestyle. Did you know that you can also use extra virgin olive oil in your baking recipes. We at Olea Oliva! bake with our Olea Oliva’s extra virgin olive oils because it adds flavor to cakes, brownies, breads, waffles and pancakes. Baking with Olive Oil instead of butter is a good way to cut saturated fat. Plus, olive oil is loaded with monounsaturated fat, which promotes “good cholesterol.” Try this delicious grapefruit olive oil cake!
Baked goods will last longer when you substitute olive oil for butter. It is the Vitamin E and Polyphenols that causes this longer shelf life. Additionally, mixing olive oil into your recipes enhances the item and offers the food a nuanced flavor that will leave your guests clamoring for your baking secrets.
- 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda and teaspoon salt
- 6 ½ tablespoons Olea Oliva’s California Blend extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 tablespoons Olea Oliva’s Grapefruit Balsamic for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a bread loaf pan; set aside. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl beat the California Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat for 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Combine the buttermilk and grapefruit juice and 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest. Add the flour mixture to the beaten mixture, beating just until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cool completely. In a small bowl combine the 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest and 2 tablespoons Olea Oliva’s Grapefruit Balsamic; set aside while cake is baking; brush over top of cake when ready to eat. If desired, serve with grapefruit slices like I did and Enjoy this heart healthy cake!
Cake can be made up to one day ahead of time, but DO NOT add grapefruits until ready to serve. I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil because it brings out the zest in the cake, but regular olive oil will yield a lighter texture.