Roasted Tomato Lentil Caprese Soup
With classic tomato-basil flavor and lots of healthy red lentils, this delicious, unique soup has a wonderful Caprese topping - fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves.
- 3 tablespoons Olea Oliva’s Chilean Frantoio Extra Virgin Olive oil or any flavored Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olea Oliva’s 25 Star aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 pounds Roma tomatoes, washed and halved, lengthwise
- 2 large sweet onion, peeled, halved and cut into wedges
- 6 medium cloves garlic, crushed (with the back of a knife) and peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon each of Olea Oliva’s Turmeric and ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- ½ Vegetable broth bouillon
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 pint yellow and red cherry tomatoes
- small fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Olea Oliva’s Garlic, Basil or Roasted Chili Olive Oil, for garnish
- fresh ground black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper in a large bowl. Stir gently with a large spoon or spatula to coat. Turn mixture out onto a rimmed sheet pan and arrange tomatoes cut side down. Bake for 30 minutes stirring once.
- Remove from oven and transfer the tomato mixture (and any liquid left in the pan) to a large soup pot. Add the lentils, vegetable bouillon, tomato paste, turmeric, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a steady low simmer. Cook for 20 minutes then remove from heat.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender. Leave the soup a bit chunky, not super smooth.